Sunday 26 January 2014

The Best Travel songs (PART 1)

Hello again, as I mentioned in my first post I'm off to New Zealand in June 2014 and I can't freaking wait! So much so that I've already made a playlist on my IPod specially designed for traveling, be it by road, air, or sea, I'll be listening to this bad boy!

Now, obviously everyone has different tastes when it comes to music, and I like to think I enjoy most genres, but as previously mentioned these songs are specifically for those moments that every time you hear it, you can place yourself back in a certain city at a certain time and it just feels you with pure nostalgia and euphoria, much like when I hear José González - Cycling Trivialities, It instantly reminds me of driving around the bendy roads of Otago, in the South Island of NZ, only to come over a hill and be engulfed in the white clouds surrounding the mountains... AMAZING.

Anyway possibly due to my rather inflated self-worth I think everyone needs to listen to my list and not only that, they should Love it! So here it is, in no particular order:

1. AVALANCHE CITY - LOVE, LOVE, LOVE
This is a cheeky little number by a kiwi band called AVALANCHE CITY, that just screams positive vibes, and with the obvious nods toward traveling it has to go in my list.

2. EDDIE VEDDER - SOCIETY 
I chose this song from one of my all-time favourite films "Into the Wild". This song, especially, struck a chord with me because the lyrics are so poignant, but practically every song on this soundtrack album is a Must.

3. JAMES VINCENT McMORROW - IF I HAD A BOAT
James Vincent McMorrow is bringing back Irish Folk, and making it cooler than ever! With his last album "Early in the morning" featuring a fair-few songs that are suitable for traveling. His new album "Post Tropical" is out now and I've only heard 2 songs so far, but it looks to be another favourite.

4. LYNYRD SKYNYRD - FREE BIRD
This simply is a must! Please, Please if you choose to add this to your list make it the 9 minute version with the impossibly kick-ass guitar solo. The lyrics, the genre, the sheer epic-ness make it the perfect traveling song.

5. RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS - ROAD TRIPPIN'
Again, much like many of these bands in this list most of their back catalog is worthy of a place on your traveling playlist. but this one is top choice, especially if you're traveling with "two favourite allies" and happen to be on a road trip.

6. BEN HOWARD - OLD PINE
Another one where the lyrics are just perfect, speaking of "hot sand on toes and cold sands on sleeping bags". Ben Howard burst onto the scene late 2012 and looks to be an ever-present fixture on my traveling playlist. 

7. RADICAL FACE - WELCOME HOME
This was one of those songs you hear on an advert and think "that song is so cool, I need to know the Title!" I believe it was a Nikon ad this one featured on, and it may have been something to do with the sweeping heli-shots of snowy mountains that sold this to me but I'm glad it did! Quality tune.

8. BOB MARLEY - REDEMPTION SONG
One of those songs where if there is a guy with a guitar in your backpackers hostel (there always is) he will play this endlessly! Also one of those songs that people can sing along to, much like in the film "The Beach".

9. JAKE BUGG - COUNTRY SONG
Might only work if you're in the countryside and slightly heartbroken, but still I love this guy's stuff and can listen to it forever, plus it can only be enhanced further when surrounded by stunning vistas can't it?

10. PHILLIP PHILLIPS - HOME
A nice song by a relatively unknown to me, until I heard this on an Advert and decided to Shazam it. The lyrics speak about "making a place your home" and "when you're lost, you can always be found". A nice addition to my playlist and always eases a bad mood.

11. SHINEDOWN - SIMPLE MAN
 I know this was originally by Lynyrd Skynyrd but I've already given them a credit and this version is equally as notable. The lyrics are great for lone traveling, and for when you want to really go for it while singing along.

12. PEARL JAM - JUST BREATHE 
Technically Eddie Vedder, again, but this time with his band Pearl Jam. Fantastically mellow and perfect for those moments when you just look around and realize you, indeed, are "a lucky man".

13. CANNED HEAT - GOING UP THE COUNTRY
Put this song on as soon as you begin a journey, either in a car or a coach, and it will instantly give you good vibes and a feeling of moving forward. This song is frequently used in films and documentaries to do exactly that.

14. CANNED HEAT - ON THE ROAD AGAIN
I didn't want to use the same band more than once in this list, but it's unavoidable with Canned Heat. This one is perfect for those moments when you feel like you've been traveling for ever and need a bit of a lift. Keep the positive vibes going!

15. ELTON JOHN - HOME AGAIN
This is from Elton's latest Album "The Diving Board". Great for those moments when you may be feeling slightly homesick, and a little sorry for yourself. Elton just keeps the classics coming.

16. WEEZER - ISLAND IN THE SUN
Now back to the positive vibes with a bit of Weezer. not much else to say except that the lyrics are perfect.

17. ISREAL KAMAKAWIWO'OLE - SOMEWHERE OVER THE RAINBOW
I hope I spelt his name right! Possibly one of the happiest songs ever, this just needs to be in there to keep the positivity ticking over. Are you noticing a pattern here in regards to positivity? That's because backpacking isn't always a piece of cake! This song did me wonders when I was homeless in Sydney and had to sleep in a park opposite the opera house. 

18. JOHN DENVER - COUNTRY ROADS
Great for a karaoke sing-along with all the friends you've made while backpacking. One of those bittersweet songs when you know you'll be home soon, but you've loved every second of it, and you still have to get there yet!  

19. JOHN DENVER - LEAVING ON A JET PLANE
I've done it again haven't I? Ah F**k it! It needed to be in there too didn't it? Yes John Denver features again in this list and there are many other songs, of his, that could also slide in here nicely, so don't be afraid to check out more of his stuff.

20. PINK FLOYD - WISH YOU WERE HERE
Great band, Great song. That riff at the beginning just does it for me every time. It turns even the most boring journeys into a scene, fit for the climax of any movie. 

21. SCOTT McKENZIE - IF YOU'RE GOING TO SAN FRANCISCO 
This only really applies if you are in the States and happen to be going to San Francisco but I can't help but include it. It just brings out the Hippy in me. And it is a cool song to drive to as well.

22. COLDPLAY - PARADISE
Imagine listening to this song, and just as the chorus kicks in you come to an epic landscape.... ARGH! Just magical...

23. PASSENGER - ONE FOR THE ROAD
Before his hit-song, "Let her go" Passenger actually traveled around the world, financed purely by busking on the streets of each country he visited. This song is an outstanding addition to this list. Like the lyrics say "This is your traveling song".

24. JOHNNY CASH - I'VE BEEN EVERYWHERE
Needed to be in here, and plus it's fun to attempt to sing along. Bet you can't keep up ;)

25. OF MONSTERS & MEN - MOUNTAIN SOUND
A nice, upbeat song to drive along to. I haven't even listened to this while traveling but after hearing it I think it would be good for back packing.

26. WILLIE NELSON - ON THE ROAD AGAIN
A song that suits my current predicament to a tee. A man with itchy feet who "just can't wait to get on the road again".

27. LUMINEERS - HO HEY
Another song that came out after my backpacking years, but on hearing decided it would be a suitable addition.

28. BLIND MELON - NO RAIN
This song just reminds me of those long haired, hippies frolicking on the grassy hills in that music video back in the 90's. The lyrics are all about escaping too...

29. DAVID GRAY - SAIL AWAY
A bit obvious, I know but none-the-less a worthy addition to any trip that involves boats.

30. MICHAEL KIWANUKA - HOME AGAIN
A lovely song by a break-through artist. Lyrics are nice and the song has a nice tempo that's perfect for those nights where you can't sleep, and wonder what your family and friends are doing back home.

PART 2 OF THIS POST WILL BE AVAILABLE SOON....


No comments:

Post a Comment